Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bringing in the harvest

This year we planted a garden, It was our first garden and we learned a lot! We planted watermelon, butter nut squash, roma tomatoes, bib lettus, cherry tomatoes, cantelope, corn, zucchini, carrots,and cucumbers. It was a lot of work especially in the beginning since we planted them in pods first and had them under lights in our basement. The transission from artificial light to natural was hard on them, but they still made it, I have to wonder if they would have grown bigger though if we had just planted them directly in the ground. The great thing though is that our seeds are heirloom, which means we can save the seeds and replant them, they will bless us for years and years, we already saved the seeds from our large tomato. I couldn't believe how many tomatoes we got! I counted these and believe it or not, but there are 180 roma tomatoes here and this isn't even all of them, at the time there were still about 80 more on the vine. I decided to make salsa, and give it to our friends and neighbors. I am still in the process of making the salsa, so far it has been an all day project! But I will post more on that once they are all in pretty jars:)





The squash was so good with a little butter,
brown sugar, and nutmeg.



This was a milk pail my father used
when he was a little boy ! I got the pretty
yellow flowers from hobby lobby and the
ribbon as well. I love it I just can't stop
looking at it. I am so lucky to have
this family heirloom!

This picture was taken back in august, the
Watermelon tasted really good back then. It has kinda
lost it's flavor now however, I have had to toss
a few of them out.






































































1 comment:

  1. Hey there cute little mama! I'm glad you guys had such success with your garden! You need to teach me. :)
    UGH - I don't wanna think about next year cuz we won't live close anymore. :( I'm gonna miss you tons.
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete