Friday, February 26, 2010

Kenidi's Allergy Test

On Wednesday I took Kenidi to the Allergy and Asthma center. Dr. Auxier gave us a referal to see them. He was concerned about her getting sick so frequently. The Doctor was extreemly helpful, they did a skin test on her back, they tested her for all sorts of things like Bermuda Grass, Three different kinds of weed, five types of tree, cats and dogs, three kinds of Mold, and six different nuts. Kenidi was so brave as they pricked her back almost 30 times. We had to wait for 20 minutes to get the final results, they were kind enough to put Elmo on for her to keep her mind off of the terrible itch! While she laid there waiting, I was watching as the pricks turned into swollen bumps, one in particular was huge it looked alomst like hives. I asked the nurse what that one was, and sure enough it was for peanuts! She ended up testing positive for Almonds, Black Walnut, Cashew, Peanut, and Hazelnut. They didn't want to overdo it with the test so they only picked a few of each thing, but I am sure if they had a larger variety she would have tested positive for them as well. One thing that really concerns me is that she tested positive for a very common Mold called (Aspergillus Fumigatus) this is a mold that is Airborn and is especially present when it rains!! It makes perfect sense, when we lived in Wichita she was sick constantly, like every few weeks!! Go figure it rains almost every week out there sometimes more when the season is right .Whenever we would come visit Arizona she would be healthy, especially when we moved to mesa this past November. She had no sign of a cold, or cough! She was healthy for almost three months, that was by far the longest she had gone. Until it recently started raining out here, infact she got sick the same week that it had been raining!!! This is such a relief to finally get some answers to the questions I have been having for almost three years!! So now we have a plan of action to prevent her from getting so sick, the doctor said that if we keep her nasal cavity cleared with saline as well as her lungs open to prevent any bacteria from growing then we should be good, he said we need to get Zyrtek so the next time she says she has that itchy throat I can treat it then and there before it festers into some crazy illness that lasts for weeks. They gave me several forms of information one of which was an action plan for the next time she accidently has peanuts. It had three zones categorized by color, each telling you what to look for and what to do- The first is the green zone, which is good and she has no reaction- Yellow zone is the next, which is caution and gives specific actions to take, then the last is the-Red Zone, which is Danger these symptoms would include things like trouble breathing, wheezing & decreased awarness! Kenidi had all of these symptoms when aunt Shanna accidently gave her a candy bar with peanuts in it, the plan of action to take should have been to call 911 and inject the Epi Pen Immediatly. I feel so blessed that my little Kenid was alright, all we did for it was give her some benadryl, I truly believe that angels were with her that day! I am sure thankful that I have been properly educated on how to handle this in the future, and I am happy to say that I now carry an Epi Pen in my Purse and have one at home as well. I am seriously so relieved to finally get to the bottom of all this, words just can't describe but when you see your kid so sick all the time and you feel helpless to do anything it really just makes your heart ache for them. Hopefully those days of worry are now behind us.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got some answers! Thank goodness now you know the steps to take to help her stay more healthy. Taylor has been missing Kenidi like crazy. She is always asking when she will be able to see her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherra, not sure if you remember me, but it's Rachel Jones. Congrats on your new baby! My gosh it's been so long. I CAN'T believe you already have two others. So fun to get all caught up!

    ReplyDelete