Monday, July 19, 2010

The Family T.E.A.M

I have been reading this book called- The Potentially Sane Mother's Guide To Raising Young Children. It is such an awsome book, and I would suggest that every family has a copy! I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed lately, being a full time mom to not 1 not 2 but 3 kids. This book has been collecting dust over for the past few years, but a few days ago I decided to bust it out in desperation of finding some sort of hope and hope is exactly what I found!! The author of this book is Tamara A. Fackrell she is a mother of five and has page after page of activites and parenting ideas to help you feel confident and in control. I started to read and then thought to myself why on earth it had taken me so long to finally give it a chance? In the book Tamara explained how she introduced the "Family Team" idea.

We have been major slackers with FHE lately, Kenidi has been constantly asking me when we are going to have family home evening and my reply usually goes something like this...." I know we need to do that, things have just been really busy lately and I haven't fully prepared a lesson yet, we will do it soon I promise." Then of course the feeling of GUILT comes!! I can't stand to have that nagging feeling like I know I should have done something but didn't make it priority enough.

Today I finally made it priority, Yay! Since it is very difficult for us to get our whole family together with Adam living on base and all, we decided to go on base and have FHE. We introduced the family TEAM to our kids and they absolutley loved it :) We talked about a team and what a team does. The sport we introduced was soccor. We explained that we as a family are just like a team, becasue each one of us has to work together for the same cause and when just one person doesn't do their part the whole family suffers. We asked the kids several question like what they thought would happen if one of the team players were to start playing for the other team. Kenidi was super excited and answered every question perfectly. Kaden was excited too, but I think he was more thrilled that we were going to play soccor. I know it will be a little more work to instill the idea into our two year old sons head, but I know eventually he will catch onto the concept.


T= Teamwork
E= Everyone in the family doing it
A= Appreciation
M=Making family a Priority

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a GREAT book! I think I need to get a copy for sure! I've found myself saying the same things many times to the girls. Taylor will ask me to do something and my biggest response is usually "In a minute." I hate doing that! I need to be better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! I guess I need to go get that book! You are not the only one who slacks on FHE! It is hard to get a lesson prepared and dinner cooked-- there just isn't enough hours in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring to me! Gracie loves when she can get the family participating in something together. I really should set aside a day/time for us to be doing a family activity wholeheartedly! My next goal. I really do wish you lived closer, it would be so nice to get together and let the kids play and catch up on everything since high school! It's so nice to have friends at the same stage of life as you are and with the same priorities. At least I can keep up with you on your blog! Keep the posts coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherra! Ah! I want to get this book. Maybe it will be good preparation for when I'm in your shoes. I just read this post to Shem and we were laughing to ourselves about Kenidi and Kaden. Haha we miss those kids..and all of you. I'd love to hear more of your experiences with this book. Love you, sis!

    ReplyDelete